Quality Sleep definition
There is no clear definition on what quality sleep is. However, there are a few indicators that can be used for quality sleep definition. For an adult, quality sleeps means that you go to bed and fall asleep between 20-30 minutes and sleep without interruptions. If you do get out of bed, then you should be fast asleep within 20 minutes of hopping back to bed.
Quality of sleep vs quantity; what does it look like?
Whilst you may sleep for 8 hours, it does not entirely mean that you had quality sleep. There are five stages of sleep, and the quantity of time one sleeps can only be referred to as quality sleep if all the five stages have been completed. A person who sleeps for 6 hours and passes all the five stages successfully will consider themselves to have quality sleep than someone who sleeps poorly for 8 hours without completing the 5 stages of sleep.
Quality sleep tips
- Include Tryptophan in your diet. This amino acid contains serotin, hormone that regulates sleep. It can be found in fish, chicken, turkey, etc.
- Good oils scent like lavender is known to reduce high blood pressure hence relaxing the body. This can translate to your peaceful sleep. Also you can use candles or even sachets.
- Artificial light is known to be a hindrance if you want quality sleep. Make sure you block all sources of artificial light an hour before going to bed.
- Noise is another factor that interferes with the quality of sleep. Reduce all noise and music as possible in order to sleep soundly.
- Do not consume heavy meals before going to bed. On the other hand, avoid going to bed on an empty stomach. This will lead to tossing and turning leading to poor quality sleep.
- After 6:00 P.M, avoid drinks like coffee, alcohol and nicotine.
- Adopt a regular sleeping routine. These can be things like listening to soft music, reading or listening to recording of books, yoga. All these are healthy lifestyle choices that could help improve your quality of sleep.
- Change of lifestyle is another factor/tip that can help improve quality of sleep. Adopt patterns like cycling or regular exercises. This will greatly help on the circulation of blood therefore your body will relax and you will sleep better at night.
- Stress is another hindering factor to the quality of sleep you get at night. Avoid stressful events and seek professional help if possible. Talking to friends and joining clubs can help manage stress.
- Daytime nap is one other thing that you need to completely avoid if you need quality sleep. If it is vital that you nap during the day, it should be no more than 30 minutes.
Sleep quality improvement
Quality of sleep can be achieved through many other factors and not only the above tips. You need a perfect bedroom and by this, it means having quality sleep materials including mattresses, bedcovers, comfortable beds, and many others. This is the focus of our site, is to help you achieve all your quality sleeping goals.